Monday, May 16, 2011

Part 5

Thunder rumbled through the sky as Crystal lay on the wet, cold ground being drenched by the rain. She tried to stand on her feet, but stumbled back down. It took a moment for the feeling of disorientation to go away and when it did, she was even more confused. “How did I get outside?” She could see the house peeking through the thick brush of trees.

“Jason?” Something told her he was nowhere near, but it didn’t hurt to call out just in case. More thunder boomed above her, which put her on the edge. Crystal was never a fan of thunderstorms and it had been raining nonstop since they arrived in the small town. After checking to make sure she had no injuries, slowly Crystal made her way through the trees back to the house. Even with the rain steadily falling she was able to hear a second pair of footsteps. Someone—or something was coming towards her. To not make a mistake like last time when she shot at the cat, she only aimed her gun in its general direction ready for whatever.

Crystal was definitely a believer and knew miracles were possible, but what she saw in front of her was almost too good to be true.

“It’s not possible…”

….



“Well…are you going to say something Jason or keep staring at me? I know I’m good looking, but I only dig chicks.”

‘This can’t be right.’ Jason thought. The person in front of him sounded, looked, and even acted like his brother, but why would he pop up here all of the sudden?

“Kevin, how…where have you been?”

“What? I went on a hunting trip, you know that.”

“A hunting trip for almost a year with no word Kevin? That’s stupid even for—“

“Wait,” Kevin cut his brother off. “Did you say I’ve been gone for almost a year?”

“Yes, you went on your own to hunt because you couldn’t wait for me then disappeared. I’ve been looking for you this whole time and now you’re telling me you remember nothing?” His story was making little sense.

“I remember hunting a trickster in Vermont. On my back to my hotel something jumped me and knocked me out. I woke the next day and headed here.” Even Kevin didn’t seem convinced by his story.

“And never once did you think to look at a calendar or newspaper? How could you not know it’s been so long, Kevin?”

“Ah, you know I never pay attention to those. That’s why I kept you around, sweetness.”

“So why didn’t you call mom or dad?”

“At twenty three, I didn’t know I needed to check in with mommy and daddy all the time.” It had to be Kevin. He was still the same brat that got on Jason’s nerves.

“I need to find Crystal.”

“Who’s that? Don’t tell me you finally got a girlfriend!”

“Nope, not a girlfriend, but she is pretty hot. We’ve been working this case together,” Jason paused and looked at his brother sincerely. They weren’t always the sentimental type, but when they did show it, it was always genuine. “I’m really glad to know you’re safe, Kevin. Thank God!”

At the mention of God, Kevin froze in his spot. For a split second Jason saw his eyes flash black then back to their true blue color. This isn’t right.

Kevin knew that Jason saw what happened and prepared to attack him, but wasn’t fast enough. Like a true gunslinger, Jason drew his gun and shot what appeared to be his brother killing him instantly; leaving only ashes where it once stood. Jason suspected that it was a demon in disguise, which is why he mentioned God to test it. Demon’s never liked that.

….

“So explain to me again what you’re doing here, Jade?” Crystal asked her sister as they walked together to the house.

“Well daddy went to search for you and I begged to tag along. You know he can’t tell me no.”

Crystal had to laugh; it was impossible to their dad to tell them no. “But I don’t understand. I saw what happened to ya’ll. I was the one that found ya’ll…” She couldn’t bring herself to say it. Dead.

“That was all a trick. It wasn’t really us that you found dead, sis. That demon or whatever kidnapped us and sent shape shifters in our place in hopes of making you believe we were dead.”

“That makes no sense. Why would it matter to any demon if I knew my family was dead or not?”

“Beats me, Crystal, you know I have absolutely no knowledge in any of this demon hunting business that you and dad are in.”

Crystal was convinced that the person she was talking to was indeed her sister, but also kept a ready hand near her gun holster.

“Now where is dad? Why did he leave you alone knowing this town is crawling with demon possessed people that won’t hesitate to kill you?”

“He’s out looking for you. He thought I would be safe at that house, but something came after me. I guess it lost interest when I ran into these woods. Maybe it knew my big sister would kick its butt!”

Talking to Jade made Crystal realize how badly she missed her family. It had been a long year. They both rejoiced when they reached the house. Finally they were out of the freezing downpour and embraced the warmth coming from the heating system.

“Jason! Where are you?”

“Crystal?” He briskly jogged down the stairs. “I’ve been looking all over this crappy house for you.” He looked over her shoulder at the young girl standing behind her. This won’t be good.

“Well, if you didn’t notice I’m soaked. Somehow I was transported to the woods behind the house. You won’t believe who I ran into while I was out there.”

Jason hated how excited Crystal looked as she introduced him to what she believed was her sister. Since meeting her, he’d never seen her so upright and happy. Casually, he pulled her over to the side to break the news, “Crystal…I wish I wasn’t telling you this, but there is no way that’s your sister.”

In an instant her face contorted into an angry scowl. “What are you talking about? Who else would she be?”

“Look, not long ago a demon pretending to be my brother also popped up. That’s too much of a coincidence. This is Lilly’s doing.” Crystal looked back at her sister who was smiling innocently and back at Jason; his face the complete opposite.

“That’s my sister…she has to be.” Crystal spoke quietly as if she didn’t believe it anymore herself. “Jade, come on, we need to go find dad.”

Jason tried to stop Crystal by grabbing her arm, but she shook free and walked towards Jade. What he was about to do was going to hurt Crystal, but he knew it had to be done. There was no other choice in the matter. “Crystal, where in God’s name are you going?!”

Like his brother had done, Jade froze in her spot and glared at Jason. That didn’t bother Crystal much until she noticed the quick flicker of her eyes turning black.

“No…” Crystal instantly knew she put herself and Jason in danger by believing the demon was actually her sister.

The creature let out an unearthly growl and leapt forward to attack Jason. He wasn’t quick enough to shoot or even block what the demon planned to do. It sent a kick straight at his face making contact with his chin.

Meanwhile, Crystal was punishing herself for being so desperate to believe that creature was in fact Jade. The sounds of the brutal beating it demon was giving Jason caught her attention and she knew what she had to do.

Taking out her gun she simply said, “I’m sorry Jade…” and pulled the trigger.

End

5 comments:

  1. WHOA! Intense!

    So the demons are playing on their emotions and weaknesses?

    Glad Jason figured out it wasn't his brother pretty quickly, just wish Crystal had done the same, now she'll carry the guilt of having put herself and Jason in danger.

    Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look here, if you end one more chapter with a cliffhanger or cliffhanger-ish, I will come down there, strap you to a chair and force you to write the rest of this story!! Hope you like bread and water lol

    This is like watching one of those explosive shows that you have to wait weekly for!!

    They were too good to be true! Demons posing as their siblings had to be painful! Good thing Jason was on guard and wasn't fooled! I hope Crystal isn't too scared by that since she was really missing her family before.

    LOL Jason thinking Crystal is hot! He better out with it, make a move, blow a kiss or something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Free
    Right, the demons just wanted to play with their weaknesses so that they could break them down in order to... I can't finish the rest of that sentence without giving anything away =p.
    Jason definitely misses his brother, but he believes that he is alive so he has that comfort. Crystal on the other hand lost her family and misses them terribly to the fact she was willing to believe a lie. This is something she wont let go.

    Thank you so much for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Qui
    LOLOL! Okay that was funny!
    I'm sorry! I try and try and try, but cliff hangers are always popping up for me. Will that bread be sourdough? I love sourdough! lol
    Aww thank you!
    Jason is a bit quicker to catch things unlike Crystal, plus all her other issues that I hope to further explain. This is going to haunt her for a while.
    LOL, yes he's definitely attracted to her....and don't worry. Someone's gonna make a move real soon!
    Thank you for reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great action shot--it must be difficult to shoot at their siblings even if they know they are demons.

    ReplyDelete